Leigh has 20 years of experience advising clients across a broad range of commercial disputes including: contract claims; shareholder remedies and joint venture agreements; property disputes; international sales and distribution agreements; construction and engineering; intellectual property, and banking and financial regulatory matters. He practiced for several years with Ogilvy Renault (now Norton Rose Fulbright Canada), followed by seven years in the Paris and London offices of international law firm Clifford Chance. He is qualified as an English solicitor and admitted as a lawyer in Quebec and Ontario. He is familiar with both common law and civil law.
In addition to international and cross-border disputes, Leigh’s practice also includes a focus on international commercial arbitration and investment disputes. He represents clients in proceedings before arbitration tribunals constituted either ad hoc or under the auspices of arbitration institutions. He is a member of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA); Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and he is on the panel of arbitrators of the ICC Canada National Committee.
- Acting for the Defendants in a claim brought before the High Court (Chancery Division) by a Russian oligarch for circa US$150 million alleging misrepresentation, deceit and breach of fiduciary duty arising out of the sale of a majority interest in a Russian property and real estate business.
- Acting for a Dubai based media house in an ICC arbitration in a US$ 2 billion claim against a State broadcaster for the breach of a joint venture agreement in relation to the introduction of digital terrestrial television.
- Acted for Defendants to an ICC arbitration claim for circa US$ 80 million arising out of a petroleum concession in Pakistan to seek from the English Commercial Court, and subsequently the Court of Appeal, a declaration under the Arbitration Act 1996, s. 72 that there was no jurisdiction for ICC arbitration.
- Acting for a major UK-based company in a multi-jurisdictional trade mark dispute, including before the European Court of Justice.
- International Arbitration
- Cross-border commercial disputes
- Intellectual Property
- French (fluent)
- Polish (intermediate)
- Canadian Forces Decoration
- F.R Scott Prize in Constitutional Law (McGill University)
- Louis H Rohrlick Prize in Public International Law (McGill University)
- London Court of International Arbitration
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Barreau du Québec
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- B.A. Joint Hons. (McGill, Canada, 1990)
- B.C.L (McGill, Canada, 1994)
- LL.B (McGill, Canada, 1994)