Russell is a Senior Solicitor at Zaiwalla & Co, an international dispute resolution firm. He has more than 12 years’ experience acting for commercial and individual clients across a broad range of contentious and non-contentious matters.
Russell specialises in commercial litigation and international arbitration. He is regularly instructed to act in high value, multi-jurisdictional claims, including contractual disputes, shareholder petitions, and issues arising out of the international carriage of goods.
Russell’s principal practice areas are commercial litigation, international arbitration and dry shipping. Disputes in these areas have included: claims resulting from alleged breaches of a variety of commercial agreements, disputes between shareholders, various issues arising out of the carriage of goods by sea, land and air, and contested international sales and distribution agreements. Due to the nature of these disputes, Russell is experienced in advising domestic and international clients, and their insurers (including P&I Clubs), and liaising with witnesses, experts and lawyers in other jurisdictions.
- Commercial litigation
- International arbitration
- Carriage of goods and passengers by sea
- The London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA), Supporting Member
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Indian Maritime Association (IMA)
- The Travel and Tourism Lawyers Association (TATLA)
- The University of Law: LPC, 2007-2008
- The University of Nottingham, LLB (Hons) Law, 2003-2006
- Acting for a Russian Claimant in a LCIA Arbitration claiming orders of payment (of circa US $190 million), an account of assets and disclosure, in a dispute arising out of various breaches of agreements relating to the division of international assets.
- Acting for a private investor Claimant in a LCIA Arbitration claiming specific performance against another shareholder, a Russian fund, of the Respondent’s obligation to purchase all of the Claimant’s shares in a technology company for circa US $24 million pursuant to a contractual notice served in a deadlock situation.
- Acting for a large Iranian agriculture and industrial group Claimant in a GAFTA Arbitration claiming damages and interest in excess of US $4 million from a global commodities company for breach of an agreement for the sale and purchase of Brazilian yellow maize.
- Acting for a Singaporean ship management company Respondent in a LMAA Arbitration concerning alleged unpaid P&I Club calls and interest exceeding US $2.6 million, and pursuing a counterclaim seeking in excess of US $ 1 million and pleading breaches of Bermudan Regulatory law, insolvency law, Club Rules and fiduciary duties.
- Acting for a Russian director/shareholder and a director in a heavily contested unfair prejudice petition and cross-petition in the Chancery division. The relevant company, incorporated in the UK, but principally operating worldwide from Moldova, was turning over in excess of US $166 million.
- Acting for a Ras Al Khaimah domiciled shipowner against a global specialty insurer and reinsurer in a claim in the Commercial Court. The Claimant is claiming circa US $4 million by way of an indemnity and/or sums due from the Defendant pursuant to a contract of marine insurance.
- Acted for two Dubai based Claimants in a claim in the Commercial Court for damages (contractual sum payable for services rendered plus loss of opportunity) of circa £26 million against a member of the royal family of Bahrain.
- Acted for Indian Defendant/Respondent sellers in opposing ss68 and 69 Arbitration Act 1996 applications made by Singaporean Claimant/Applicant buyers in the Commercial Court challenging a GAFTA Board of Appeal Award in the sum of US $1.6 million in favour of the sellers.