Daria is a Registered Foreign Lawyer and a Russian advocate with a particular interest in international arbitration both investment and commercial, as well as commercial litigation in disputes arising from of commercial contracts, shareholder agreements, banking, international bankruptcy, civil fraud and hostile takeover of companies (also known as ‘reiderstvo’).
Prior to joining Zaiwalla & Co she was a Foreign Lawyer at Litigation practice of Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson LLP (London), Visiting Foreign Lawyer at WilmerHale (London) and Junior Associate at Dispute Resolution practice of Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP (Moscow).
- Represented a high net worth individual as a Global Litigation Coordinator with related civil and criminal proceedings in the BVI (High Court, Eastern Caribbean Court of Appeal and Privy Council), Cyprus, Russia, South America and Switzerland. Defended claims brought by a Russian state-owned bank relating to US$200 million financing of a Russian natural resources and manufacturing business.
- Represented a Russian telecommunications organisation in an LCIA arbitration relating to US$45 million claims made by a Russian real estate and construction business relating to obligations under lease agreements.
- Represented a claimant in an LCIA arbitration that sought +US$50 million restitution for an alleged corporate raid on a tile manufacturing and distribution business, carried out by a large Russian financial and industrial group.
- Represented a major Russian Bank in the English High Court in dismissal of an application by the a commercial Bank from FSU Region seeking a permanent moratorium against creditor action under a English law governed debt, resulting in a landmark ruling affirming the application of the ‘Gibbs Principle’ over the Cross Border Insolvency Regulations.
- Represented Sergey Belyaev (one of the founders of OJSC National Bank Trust) and his wife in a case that was featured in The Lawyer magazine’s ‘Top 20 Cases for 2017’ relating to the defence of US$830 million, 12-week English High Court trial of claims brought by the bank’s new owner against its former management.
- Represented a major oil and gas company in LCIA and ICC arbitrations related to negotiation and settlement of gas supply price.
- Represented a major Russian insurance company in the LCIA dispute related to violation of warranties and indemnities.
- International Commercial Arbitration
- Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Contracts
- Shareholders Disputes
- Russian (native)
- English (fluent)
- Spanish (Intermediate)
- French (Intermediate)
- Top-10 young arbitration practitioners by Russian Arbitration Association in 2016
- Russian Advocate, Bar of the Moscow Region
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Arbitrator listed with CIArb, LCIA and RAA
- BPP University (London) – Graduate Diploma in Law;
- Queen Mary, University of London – LLM in Comparative and International Dispute Resolution (Merit)
- National Research University “Higher School of Economics” (Moscow) – LLM in Dispute Resolution